VICE PRESIDENT OF DEVELOPMENT, Multifamily
OUR CLIENT: Our Client: Over 60 years of experience in the multifamily development having built over 52,000 apartment units and 35,000 student housing beds in twenty-six states. Their management staff has decades of experience transcending every phase of the apartment business and currently operate in numerous locations across the country. Central to their success is their history of leadership in the Multi-family industry.
Vice President of Development: The successful candidate will be responsible for identifying primarily urban sites for development and redevelopment in designated geographic markets, overseeing/coordinating and managing the execution of development projects of various sizes and complexity. He/she will develop and maintain a variety of residential (primarily MF or mixed-use) and commercial projects through comprehensive outreach and sourcing, working with Our Client’s investment team. This will include development projects (in particular Vertical Construction Building Projects- multi family, mixed-use, retail, office) and monitoring of partnership interests related to the construction oversight of vertical developments.
The VP – Development must be capable of handling multiple project matters in multiple markets in a simultaneous manner. The successful candidate must be a self-starter, be capable of thinking on his/her feet, represent the Company at various business and social functions and will interface with other project partners. Additionally, an expectation is to maintain communication with all relevant parties, including municipal planning officials, landowners, broker network, public agencies and the firm’s senior management. The position will be located in Denver, CO. The candidate will report to the West Coast Partner.
Specific responsibilities include:
1.) Land Development Responsibilities:
- Sourcing new investment / development projects and prospects through research and his/her network working in conjunction with the Company’s investment team
- Lead weekly interdepartmental project development coordination meetings including finance and accounting, development, construction, and marketing/property management department heads.
- Liaison with City and other governmental officials, including organizing and attending meetings as required to execute zoning, entitlement and approvals. Follows through with all pertinent parties to ensure that appropriate action is executed
- Assist in the coordination of zoning matters with appropriate consultants, legal and governmental bodies.
- Ensures all plans and required submittals are processed with the appropriate government body and follows through to obtain approvals as required. Track progress of these submittals to receipt of required approvals.
- Coordinates, schedules and attends architectural design/schedule matters and follows through to ensure required action is done as required.
- Responsible for the coordination of land surveys, easements, etc. and works with surveyors, engineers etc. to ensure work is done as required.
- Assists in the interviewing and selection of outside consultants (which may be project-specific).
- Along with the construction leadership, interviews and selects general contractors, subcontractors and other similar 3rd party vendors. Prepares and solicits bids for a variety of development required contracts.
- Coordinate environmental reviews and remediation efforts on various development projects.
- Monitors and coordinates the work effort of all project architects, engineers and consultants to ensure their scope of work is in conformance with the project budget, schedule and development guidelines.
- Coordinates draw submittal with construction accounting.
- Coordinates land maintenance activities.
2) Oversees the duties of each development team member which will be defined by a project specific Operating Agreement.
- Monitors construction activity and schedule. Visit project sites as appropriate with Development Partners staff for the purpose of understanding project schedule and budget as it relates to the overall interests of Land Development and the urban development partnership interests.
- Prepare/review weekly reports regarding the status of each development project including status of construction, cost variances, unresolved items and other project related reports. Includes photographs as appropriate.
- Reviews all project reports related to each project. Able to analyze construction/development costs and understand the impact on the overall project.
- Monitors delivery dates and understands the impact of these on project equity and profit distributions.
- Maintains all project records along with administrative support.
- Monitors project closeout process including contract closeouts, punch list and final payments.
- Reviews monthly draw for conformance with Operating Agreement requirements.
- Aware of the sales and marketing activities, and understands how these relate to status of construction.
3) General Office Administration responsibilities
- Coordinates the maintenance of the on-site construction office when appropriate
- Management of a development administrative assistant
- Maintains development records and drawings such as architect’s plans, civil/survey plans, environmental reports etc.
Key skills and expertise:
- Minimum 10 years of progressive urban development experience in the multi-family industry developing apartment communities of all sizes, commercial, retail, residential and urban land development projects.
- Recent, relevant direct experience with a development firm with national presence.
- Excellent computer skills, with emphasis on Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet access, the use of a digital camera and familiarity with the sending of documents and photographs via the internet.
- Solid understanding of environmental remediation procedures and permit application process.
- Prior experience with local planning departments, building departments and other municipal officials in multiple markets, including Chicago, Denver and Los Angeles.
- College degree in related real estate field.
- Basic familiarity with financial terminology.
- Good organization, communication and administration skills.
- Good oral, written and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to perform under pressure.
- Able to work with people at all levels.
- Ability to prioritize work assignments and adapt to changing priorities.
- Preference given to candidates residing in the metropolitan area.
- Professional attitude, appearance and demeanor.