VICE PRESIDENT OF CONSTRUCTION
This position has been filled. Please send in your resume if you're looking for a similar position.
The Vice President of Construction has direct accountability for all construction operation. Responsible for the management of construction of concurrent apartment building developments in multiple communities with a primary focus on quality, cost management, speed and safety. The role is accountable for the management of Project Management staff, schedules and timely integration of construction trades, material, documentation, and staffing. The VP of Construction is responsible for our customer commitments to deliver apartments without defects on time and within budget, and to deliver an exceptional experience to residents and works directly with other senior management personnel on future business and strategic planning as well as focuses on improving current systems and work processes.
Duties and Essential Job Functions:
Management Staff Functions:
The Vice President assigns work, ensures that it is properly allocated, completed in a timely and accurate manner and that it is compliant with project specifications. Monitors, delegates, assigns, forecasts and evaluates workload and projects against department capabilities. Trains, leads and directs the activities of direct reports through the use of regular feedback, objective setting, performance appraisals, coaching, mentoring and assignment of duties. Prepares annual evaluations for Associates and makes recommendations and determinations for merit increase and year-end bonuses. Provides on the job direction both orally and in writing on project specifications. Works to provide resources and support for purposes of maintaining consistency in the day-to-day operations and reporting standards. Works closely with new hires and/or new project teams to educate them on the company's way of doing business based on the standard forms, programs and operational standards. Oversees the pre-development/pre-construction process with the owner’s team. Provides training and mentoring to the Project Managers and Engineers. Provides resources and support to the overall construction teams.
Management of Construction Functions:
The Vice President of Construction participates in pre-construction analysis and budgeting for future projects. Reviews agreements related to projects (purchasing, sales, leasing and municipal) and provides input. Manages project budgets by reviewing and approving projected expenses and revenues to ensure projects are completed within prescribed budgets. Provides guidance through management of consultants, architects, lawyers and municipal representatives. Prepares or provides guidance on documentation in order to ensure agreements are cost-effective and meet corporate and legal requirements. Prepares project proposals and packages for Ownership approval. Remains abreast of current industry developments and trends through attendance of regular conferences, seminars and networking events at business associations and post-secondary institutions. Accelerates development cycle times to enhance return on investment. Ensures all development projects are completed in accordance with the approved budget schedule. Responsible for the optimization and standardization of all construction processes. Monitors production schedules, critical paths for projects, and cost control to ensure that buildings are completed on time, meet expected quality and within budget.
Management of Client Relation Functions:
Effectively manages all internal and external resources in a timely customer focused manner and exercises prudent budget management and good governance. Ensures that productive supplier and trade contractor relationships are maintained. Fosters effective communication between the Construction function and Corporate Office. Attends daily, weekly and monthly meetings with staff and senior management to facilitate the flow of information between all parties to ensure the timely completion of construction projects.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of financial analysis, construction management, regulatory and municipal processes, market conditions, lease and legal negotiations and commercial construction expertise.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical skills.
- Effective leadership, problem solving and negotiation skills, coupled with the ability to manage proactive change.
- Strong relationship building skills.
- Proven ability to manage and motivate others to meet performance objectives.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Able to multitask and work in a fast paced environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Project, Excel, Estimating and Scheduling softwares
- Extensive experience of construction, design, finance and management required.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and proof of auto insurance.
- University degree or college diploma specializing in architecture, planning, construction management, engineering or a related field.
- Minimum 10+ years of commercial real estate experience, preferably in a multi-family/apartment environment.
- Minimum 10+ years management experience.
- Frequent standing, sitting, walking grounds or job-site, stooping, bending, twisting, climbing stairs, driving car, fine hand manipulation (keying/mousing), reaching, simple grasping (answering phone) and occasional lifting or carrying objects of up to 20 lbs. Occasional travel to job sites or to current client or prospective client locations. Exposure to loud noises, high elevations and extreme heat and cold.