DIRECTOR of ARCHITECTURE and CONSTRUCTION - OREGON
This position has been filled!
OUR CLIENT :
Starting out as a small company in the 1950’s they are now one of the leading independent retailers in the United States. The Company has approximately 7,000 employees in over 460 locations throughout Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, California, Nevada, Utah and Colorado. About 300 employees work in their Oregon Headquarters. They are an innovator in their field committed to “Pride in Performance” when servicing their customers.
As an employer, our client is equally dedicated. The company started its first profit sharing program in 1954, and today the Company shares approximately half its profits with employees through several generous programs including cash bonuses, health benefits and retirement. The Company also offers paid holiday, vacation, disability coverage and life insurance programs.
The company culture is one of honesty, integrity, respect for co-workers, customers and their community. They focus on extensive collaboration across functions to help each team member create outstanding results. They are humble, hard-working, smart and serving-oriented people that partner with their stores to create simple, effective solutions that make it easier to deliver the world class customer services that they are known for.
Ah, location, location, location! If we haven’t gotten your attention with our client’s wonderful history, culture and customer service then let’s talk about their Headquarters where this position will be based. If you desire a lifestyle surrounded by nature, clean-air, beautiful skies with an abundance of outdoor activities such as snow skiing, mountain biking, hiking, fishing, rafting and so much more then Bend, Oregon is the place for you. Nestled between the snow-covered peaks of the Cascade Mountains and high plateaus of Central Oregon, this once small lumber town has evolved into an international “ground zero” for outdoor enthusiast and those that thirst for a lifestyle surround by wonderful people and a healthy environment. It's the SUNNY SIDE of Oregon, with over 330 days of sunshine per year. A great home and a great career!
The newly created position of Director of Architecture and Construction in the Real Estate & Construction Department is to support new store a ramping up of new store growth efforts, spearhead a new, large-scale remodel effort, to drive continuous improvement in building prototype design, and to create a strategic facility management capability. Given the increase workload and evolving needs of the department, we seek candidates with solid experience in:
- Construction Project and Program Management
- Construction vendor selection & management, evaluation and feedback
- Master schedule creation for program roll-out
- Prototype evolution & optimization
This position will report to the VP Real Estate & Construction, and be responsible for managing the construction team , directing Prototype development, lead selection and assessment of external vendors, program management, direct interaction with Store Operations and reporting.
The two primary drivers of increased workload are:
- The New Store Growth - especially in new markets: Find, select and on-board new GCs, A&E consultants, Civil Engineers, entitlement consultants, brokers and other experts; coordinating new market entry activities and reporting to Senior Management.
- The Large-scale remodel program will drive a huge internal and external coordination effort, including planning & drawing suggested solutions for old stores, creating budgets, onboarding new A&E firm and GCs, and managing increased project workload.
The Director of Architecture & Construction will report to the VP Real Estate & Construction, and be responsible for:
- Set departmental goals.
- Direct the development and implementation of design and construction standards to ensure projects are executed at appropriate levels of quality.
- Oversee the maintenance of the building prototype to assure operational needs are incorporated and value engineering/construction practices are utilized.
- Train,mentor and manage team of internal construction coordinators, project managers and administrative staff; provide oversight and management direction to external project managers and consultants.
- Lead project teams to the timely delivery of permits, construction start dates and store openings; develop and manage work processes relating to the use of outside consultants.
- Direct and work cross functionally with legal, design, construction and Store Operations to ensure the achievement of Company development goals, including timely reporting, accurate budgeting and reliable project completion timeline communication to Senior Management.
- Oversee and direct all capital expenditures for the construction and alteration of store locations consistent with the planning and design goals of the Company; oversee coordination of each project to ensure the design process reflects the input from the appropriate internal departments.
- Lead the annual capital budget planning for expansion and remodel programs and Company-wide development standards and processes. Execute Store Development Group initiatives and process modifications to Tire Center development activities through Department personnel.
- When and were possible, develop a system of "national accounts" to insure best product and pricing (HVAC units, Overhead Doors, Loading dock doors etc).
- Bring strong knowledge of current systems, best practices and lean construction methodology and ability to illustrate and integrate those systems/practices.
- 15 plus years construction and/or project management experience.
- Experience with ground-up construction or redevelopment of retail properties ( retail centers, free standing outparcels etc).
- Solid knowledge and experience developing prototype buildings and roll-out plans for new construction.
- Degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering or related construction management degree.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Strong computer skills required. Preference for applicants with AutoCAD skills.
- Ability to structure programs with internal and external resources, and see individual project through to completion and report on results.
- Strong leaderships skills and team oriented personality.
Compensation: Base salary is around $135,000 (maybe more depending on experience) plus target bonus of 40% and a solid retirement program.
Gillian Executive Search, Inc. is a leader in retail construction and development recruiting