Director of Field Operations & Project Management
The Director of Field Operations & Project Management will design and implement a working project plan compliant with budget expectations and in keeping with the company’s high standards of quality. The Director of Field Operations & Project Management is responsible for developing and overseeing all construction-specific plans, budgets and activities for assigned assets. This responsibility includes managing others responsible for construction activities, to include third-party vendors and contractors who are supporting the company with projects in construction.
The Director of Field Operations will oversee construction projects from inception to completion and work collaboratively with the Construction and Architecture teams. Make ongoing inspections for quality, safety, security and resolution of all problems, monitoring of unit cost and changes for time and material, budget and schedule reviews throughout project.
Project type: Luxury Hotels (LA, Ventura and Santa Barbara counties).
Essential functions and responsibilities
- Ensure work is delivered to quality expectations and rework minimized by understanding the deliverables and consistently evaluating/testing the quality of work in progress.
- Monitor resources (including manpower, materials, and temporary works) daily against the project plan. Use judgement to identify necessary adjustments to project scope, approach, or deliverables based on changing requirements. Hold trades/subcontractors accountable, and help them perform within those requirements through pre-task planning, monitoring construction site activities and conditions, taking immediate corrective actions to non-compliant work.
- Ensure appropriate and timely completion of construction activities, also ensuring alignment of costs/expenditure to agreed/set budgetary and contract guidelines
- Quality controls supervision and inspection reporting structure and communication protocols.
- Create internal control systems to verify material/products installed are in compliance with the specification requirements and approved submittals.
- Effectively sequences multiple complex scheduling challenges, while mitigating temporary works and safety risks, working with Scheduler to update the project schedule. Clearly communicate the sequence and schedule updates to subcontractors and vendors, holding them accountable to their agreements. Ensure work progresses in compliance with the schedule. Provide ongoing monitoring of quality to assure consistency to meet the company standards for each
- Assures a safe environment for all employees, the general public and
- Help maintain the project site logistics plan. Coordinate material deliveries and movement of equipment on the site to ensure safe and efficient work.
- Develops, maintains and drives the construction schedule in conjunction with project team; ensures project milestones and completion dates are met.
- Enforcement of the subcontractor's agreements.
- Contractual performance and timely work
- As required, initiates and/or tracks the flow of information between all parties by way of RFI, RFP, Transmittal, Memo or otherwise, as they pertain to individual Monitor and reports to the Senior Vice President of Project Management all outstanding Change Orders, RFI's and Claims. Responsible for full documentation daily logs, charts of accounts of each project under his or her direct supervision is maintained.
- Leads project meetings with internal and external stakeholders to monitor and support the project’s ongoing progression.
- Oversees project reporting that accurately tracks site progress, events, inspections and other relevant information
- Advise senior level management of potential problems, work interferences or schedule difficulties, while assisting in circumventing or mitigating such conflicts. Assist involved contractors in resolving problems.
- Major contributor to development of a thoughtful project pre-plan which includes a CPM schedule, work sequences, manpower utilization, material handling and storage requirements and equipment use.
- Use current construction management system to perform record-keeping tasks including, composing daily diaries, maintaining project logs and retrieving RFIs, submittal logs and agreements.
- Provide liaison between project management, field engineering, estimating and specialty contractors to ensure construction complies with plans, specifications and company quality standards and that the project is completed on time and within budget.
- Project closeout procedures.
- Minimum of 15 years project management experience.
- Construction sequencing.
- Outstanding analytical and project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven track record for successful/effective leadership and management of others.
- Proven strategic agility and stretch; can easily assume wider and more complex tasks and initiatives.
- BS/BA in Engineering related field Construction Management or equivalent work
Physical demands and work environment
- Clear vision, speech and hearing.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds, good vision to review drawings and work extensively on
- computer, ability to stand for 10-16 hours during construction phases
- The ability to work on a construction jobsite, climb ladders, work in confined space, and traverse uneven terrain
- Driver’s license and own car to travel to local job sites is required
- Comfortable with heights and confined spaces and able to comfortably work at high levels and small spaces, etc. in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Able to stoop and bend, sometimes repetitively.
Compensation: for the right experience the base and bonus package is very competitive.